Purpose Statement

My holy ambition is to bring glory to God through the study of His Word. I am passionate about the observation, interpretation and application of God's Word in our lives.

Wednesday, March 6, 2013

The Compassionate Christ

I am reading through the Book of Mark for my quiet time in the mornings.  I'm in Chapter 1: 19-34.  Here we see Jesus teaching, healing and delivering people from demonic influences. The passage says He did so with authority and the people were amazed.  Christ has all authority for He is the Creator of the universe.  He sustains every molecule by His power and majesty.  We also see the compassion and mercy of the Lord too.  His is not an arbitrary or whimsical grace. His is a loving sovereignty.  Jesus ministered to the hurting multitudes as both Son of God and Son of Man.

One of my struggles has been to see God as He reveals Himself to be in His Word. In particular to acknowledge that He is a loving and compassionate God.  I grew up in a religion where that god demands obedience.  If you don't obey He withdraws His favor. Legalism is no stranger to me.  In my former religion even caffeine was taboo.  Temple attendance was mandatory and the rituals done there were obligatory in order for that you might become God someday.  What a refreshing difference the biblical God is from the god of my childhood!  Praise Him for His mercy, grace and compassion.

No comments: