Purpose Statement

My holy ambition is to bring glory to God through the study of His Word. I am passionate about the observation, interpretation and application of God's Word in our lives.

Tuesday, March 26, 2013

Shout Out for Home School Moms

Yesterday it was the school program at BSF. This morning I spent about three hours helping a mother of seven (four still at home) school her children.  I had a great time.  There is a coach / teacher person inside of me waiting to emerge. We studied science this morning and read about frogs. I'm a "tadpole teacher" of sorts. I've heard about home school for a long time especially so since my coming to Calvary Bible Church.  I had very little, if any, experience actually being a part of the process.

I have helped children with homework before but this was different. It was kind of like diving in the deep end. I loved it.  It made my heart glad to hear mother and son learn the grammatical principles related to pronouns as objects of prepositions. (That's fodder for another post!). I loved listening to the kids read and helping with the math. I learned the differences between frogs and toads. I heard that Albert Einstein was ridiculed as a school boy. I did some math problems and got the right answers.  Okay it was fourth grade math so no big deal. The eldest son was studying physics. I told him he was on his own...

Okay I digress. I saw a brief moment of the effort it takes to home school children.  I have a far greater appreciation for the parents who do it day in and day out.  I especially have much respect for the fact that often there are six, seven or eight children in a family. I imagine that like most things it gets a bit easier as you do it more.  By the time you get to the last child, it perhaps does feel like a breeze. Anyway, here's a shout out for home school Moms.  You rock.

No comments: