Purpose Statement

My holy ambition is to bring glory to God through the study of His Word. I am passionate about the observation, interpretation and application of God's Word in our lives.

Monday, March 25, 2013

Spiritual Tapout

Tonight I served as a volunteer BSF with the school program. I was in the room with the first and second graders. The lesson was about Jacob wrestling with God. The teaching leader for the class mentioned the UFC and the tapout.  A tapout is a method in which a fighter submits to his opponent by tapping his opponent, himself or the mat. Verbal tap outs are also allowed. Jacob after wrestling with God all night "tapped out" and held on until God blessed him. It was then that God changed his name from Jacob which means cheater to Israel which means prince.

God desires His children to "tapout" often with Him.  I've been fighting God for some time now.  I think I finally have tapped out.  His way is better, brings more joy and allows for a settled peace in your heart. It's funny how there can be overt sins and sins that are hidden until God chooses to reveal them.  I've been in a dark valley for some time but believe that God is working in my heart to correct some long standing sin. Sins I just didn't see because they were so habitaul.  How faithful He is to work out our salvation in our hearts.  A verse that I continue to hear and one that gives me hope happened to be the memory verse for the children tonight.  It's Hebrews 12: 11:
"All discipline for the moment seems not to be joyful, but sorrowful; yet to those who have been trained by it, afterwards it yields the peaceful fruit of righteousness."

No comments: