Purpose Statement

My holy ambition is to bring glory to God through the study of His Word. I am passionate about the observation, interpretation and application of God's Word in our lives.

Friday, January 11, 2013

Who Are You Going to Trust Part II

It's hard for me to let go of my plans during the day.  I'm getting better at it believing more that God has a better plan than I do on any particular day.  I saw that play out in a dramatic way this afternoon and evening.  I had plans to go to dinner with Person A at Place B.  She called around 3pm this afternoon. She had spent the night caring for a sick friend and couldn't make it.  I prayed for God's direction about what to do. I thought it might please Him to call Person B and see if she could go to dinner with me at Place B.  When I prayed I told the Lord I would surrender to whatever He might have for me and if it meant spending the night at home that would be what I did.  Person B called around 5pm and had other plans for the evening. I was just getting in my car to come home when the cell phone rang.

On the drive home I told the Lord "I trust you Lord" which is a phrase that isn't meant to be ritualistic but to be an earnest acknowledgement of God's goodness and sovereignty.  Just as I walked in my door my phone rang. Then the cell phone rang. It was Person C asking me to go to dinner at Place C.  I was overwhelmed at God's grace in directing my day.  There are many reasons this was so significant that that's a post for another day.  I picked up Person C and we went to Place C.  It was packed out with standing room only. We chose Place D somewhere I'd never been but she had on plenty of occasions.  We drove down the road to Place D.  We were waited on quickly. The food was wonderful. After the meal one of the employees laid a get one dinner free when you buy one dinner card on our table.  When I woke up this morning I had no idea how the day would turn out. 

Here are some of God's promises regarding guidance:
  • God will instruct me and teach me in the way I should go. He will guide me with His eye. (Psalm 32:8)
  • My steps are ordered by the Lord. (Psalm 37:23)
  • Your word is a lamp to my feet and a light to my path. (Psalm 119:105)
  • I trust in the Lord with all my heart and lean not on my own understanding. In all my ways I acknowledge Him and He directs my paths. (Proverbs 3:5-6)
  • I shall hear a word behind me, saying, “This is the way, walk in it,” whenever I turn to the right or the left. (Isaiah 30:21)
  • Thus says the Lord, my Redeemer, the Holy One of Israel: “I am the Lord your God, Who teaches you to profit, Who leads you by the way you should go.” (Isaiah 48:17)
  • The Lord will guide me continually. (Isaiah 58:11)
  • I desire to do God’s will so I shall know whether it is from God. (John 7:17)

No comments: