Purpose Statement

My holy ambition is to bring glory to God through the study of His Word. I am passionate about the observation, interpretation and application of God's Word in our lives.

Monday, January 21, 2013

A Sobering Assessment

I'm reading "How Can I change? Victory in the Struggle Against Sin" by C.J. Mahaney and Robin Boisvert.  The last chapter speaks of the judgment by Christ of the believer's works.  Ir's a sobering somewhat terrifying subject.  While the believer isn't subject to eternal damnation, she can face a number of significant losses of reward for failing to do all she could do here on earth for the Lord.  In other words not everyone will hear the much desired "Well done my good and faithful servant" from the mouth of the Lord.

Randy Alcorn has described Western Christianity as: "We major in the momentary and minor in the momentous."  Martin Luther said there were only two days on his calendar "today" and "that  Day". Mahaney used the example of King Solomon who failed to end well.  In fact Dr. Mahaney quoted Robert Clinton findings that "fewer than 25% of most well known leaders in Scripture finished life's course with their reputation and leadership intact." I found that a paralyzing statistic.  Just when we thought as long as we made INTO heaven all will be well.  Not so fast.  Heaven will be and is a momentous place because of the presence of Jesus Christ. But we must remember the judgement of all Christians. We will meet with Christ alone and He will review every day of our lives.  There will be, as Mahaney says, "a final examination. It will be administered by the fairest yet strictest Headmaster in the universe."  Deep thoughts to ponder as we look to each day.

Jonathan Edwards resolved: "never to do anything which I would be afraid to do if it were the last hour of my life."  David Powlison wrote: "In most graphic terms, on the day of judgment God will ask, 'What did you do?' He will not ask, "What happened to you."  Matthew Henry said: "It ought to be the business of every day to prepare for the last day."  These are compelling quotes.  This book has gotten my attention. I pray the past two posts have gotten yours. If you haven't read the book, it's a challenging but hopeful read.  And you may just come away with a hugely significant life change that needed to made. That's my hope for myself anyway.

No comments: