Purpose Statement

My holy ambition is to bring glory to God through the study of His Word. I am passionate about the observation, interpretation and application of God's Word in our lives.

Tuesday, January 8, 2013

A Joye Ride

I spent the afternoon on the bus for the assisted living folks. Every Tuesday is visit the doctor day. The activities director drives those residents that can get out to see their doctors to their apppointments.  I rode along with her to help those in wheel chairs.  I think I deployed and stowed the ramp 8 or 9 times in four hours.  It was a delight to be a part of the process.  There's one senior citizen that I've enjoyed a great deal. Her first name is Joye and she was a music teacher and administrator for nearly 50 years.  She was our first pickup.  Her doctor's office had called saying she was ready to go. When we got to the office, it wasn't quite true. It took another twenty minutes or so.  Instead of my usual impatience, I intentionally focused on letting God be God and entrusting Him with the schedule.  In short I chose joy with Joye.

However, I might have been a tad bit late in hiding my impatience. Joye figured out we had another run to make.  She couldn't have been kinder.  She did everything she could to speed up the process.  She kept such a happy heart and a joyful attitude. It was contagious. The activities director and I tried on different glasses frames while we waited. It was fun.  I found a pair of frames that I liked and the AD said looked really good on me.  All for a mere $390.00. I think they'd look good on anybody.

I realized the importance of the serenity prayer today. Change those things you can change, accept those you can't and be wise enough to know the difference.  What could have resulted in my being impatient and frustrated all afternoon turned out to be a joy. The rest of the afternoon I remained calm and at peace even when we got lost, missed an exit and had to double back to one office to pick up something left behind.  I look forward to next Tuesday's Joye ride.

No comments: