Purpose Statement

My holy ambition is to bring glory to God through the study of His Word. I am passionate about the observation, interpretation and application of God's Word in our lives.

Wednesday, January 23, 2013

The New Normal

On Wednesday evenings I go with my step mom, Helen, to her church. We play Mexican Train for an hour or so and then have dinner with some of the other parishioners.  Tonight she and I talked after we got back to the house.  There have been so many changes in our lives some of which are difficult--very difficult.  My Dad's dementia continues to worsen which has necessitated his being in a facility.  An aunt is under the care of hospice 24 hours 7 days a week. My brother has been diagnosed with cancer and is starting chemotherapy.  As we were talking the phrase "the new normal" came to mind. I've heard in a couple of circles so I presume it's becoming pretty well known. I don't know the origin of it but it describes what's happening in her and my life. I trust it is happening in your lives as well. Things just aren't as they used to be. Life requires a lot of change.

I then remembered a verse from one of my favorite hymns: "Be Still My Soul."  I've blogged about it before. 

Be still, my soul; the Lord is on thy side;
Bear patiently the cross of grief or pain;
Leave to thy God to order and provide;
In every change He faithful will remain.
Be still, my soul; thy best, thy heavenly, Friend
Through thorny ways leads to a joyful end.

The line states: "In every change He faithful will remain."  What comfort those seven words bring. He is faithful to walk with us in every change.  Changes do come. People age, die, move and every event means a "new normal."  Believers have such precious promises given to us.  Psalm 46:1 states: "God is our refuge and our strength a very present help in times of trouble." Gratefully He hasn't left believers alone but will be faithful in our every "new normal" circumstances.

No comments: