Purpose Statement

My holy ambition is to bring glory to God through the study of His Word. I am passionate about the observation, interpretation and application of God's Word in our lives.

Saturday, January 12, 2013

The Attentiveness of Spirit

Most of you who read my blog or know me realize I have two dogs.  One is a white and tan medium sized fox hound lab mix and the other is a black and tan small dachshund and miniature pincher mix.  The white dog is Spirit and the black one is named Kellie.  Kellie reminds me of Esau in the Bible. She'd sell her birthright for a bowl of pottage.  She loves her creature comforts and on cold days is more than willing to run out, do her business and zoom back in to bed.  She can be bought with a biscuit which often comes in handy when I need her to do something.

Spirit is different. She is focused far more on her mistress and pleasing me.  If she were to find a piece of filet Mignon and I told her to drop it, she would.  Kellie would fight to the death for it or gag herself trying to swallow it too quickly. Spirit watches my every move. Kellie watches those toward the food bin.  Spirit wants to please me. Kellie is more about herself.  Spirit will mind usually on the first or second command.  Kellie minds when it is convenient or something is in it for her.  Spirit is content most of the time. Kellie is content when things go her way.  Like her food bowl is filled and her bed warm.  I think you can guess which one I want to be more like when it comes to pleasing the Lord. I want to follow Spirit's lead.  I want to please Christ in all I do yet I know I often fail.  I want Spirit's attentiveness when God speaks to me through His Word. I want to follow Him closely with both my face and my heart toward Him.

No comments: