Purpose Statement

My holy ambition is to bring glory to God through the study of His Word. I am passionate about the observation, interpretation and application of God's Word in our lives.

Tuesday, January 22, 2013

A Gospel Primer

I'm reading a book called "A Gospel Primer for Christians--Learning to See the Glories of God's Love."  It's short and to the point but it has some life changing principles in it. It's written by Milton Vincent. At the end of the book he does a marvelous job of putting the Gospel in poetic form.  I thought it might be very trite but it instead was very powerful.  Focusing on the Gospel saved Milton's spiritual life and the book grew from the process he undertook to remember to focus on the Gospel every day and often throughout the day. 

I admit that the concept of preaching the Gospel to myself is relatively new to me. I was much better to present it to unbelievers.  As I read and study more and examine the huge rut of my own walk, I see the need to preach God's unchangeable truths to ourselves consistently throughout the day.  The focus ends up being God's love for the sinner rather than the wrath so many believers still expect from God.  I dare say that far too many American Christians still employ some form of works based righteousness when it comes to relating to God.  At least in a functional way.  Like Milton we worry about our position before God. We engage in a barter system with the Lord. "If you do X, I'll do Y".  Yet God calls us and loves us in Jesus Christ. He poured out His wrath on His Son. There is no condemnation for those who are in Christ Jesus.  None. Now only if I could truly believe it.....

No comments: