Purpose Statement

My holy ambition is to bring glory to God through the study of His Word. I am passionate about the observation, interpretation and application of God's Word in our lives.

Monday, January 14, 2013

A Personal Christ

I've struggled with the concept of a personal Christ.  I'm not a person who talks to Jesus and frankly who prays much anymore.  I used to do so but somewhere along the way I have stopped.  I know the God of my invention (aka an idol) is a harsh, vengeful and retributive god.  He's not the God of the Bible so he isn't God at all.  My god isn't very approachable. I keep waiting for him to want a pound of my flesh in some way ever time I sin.  For me that's quite often.  In counseling today I think I finally got through my thick head that the god I invented truly isn't biblical and serving him has only brought me much heartache and harm.  I've known a lot about the biblical God on an intellectual level but little on a personal one.

I'm on a quest this year to change all that.  I want to travel down the Emmaus Road with the Lord so to speak. Only I want to recognize Him.  I want to draw close. I want to know His love. I want to answer the call of Revelation 3: 20: "Behold I stand at the door and knock, if any one hears My voice and opens the door, I will come in to him and will dine with him and he with Me."  Dr. Ryrie says of this verse:
"How incredible that Christ should be kept outside His own church! How gracious that He should seek entrance!"  Sad indeed that I have been one to keep Him at arm's length and outside the door.  I've really missed Him.  How about any of the rest of you?  Is Christ outside the door and not inside fellowshipping with you? May this new year be a time when we allow deep intimacy with the One who created us and knows us best.  Pray for me as I change my heart and my mind about my idol and turn to the One true God as revealed in His Word.

No comments: