Purpose Statement

My holy ambition is to bring glory to God through the study of His Word. I am passionate about the observation, interpretation and application of God's Word in our lives.

Sunday, January 13, 2013

Reflect the Image of Christ

God's primary goal for the Christian is to become increasingly more like His Son.  We are to manifest the fruit of the Spirit, the love of the brethren, a passion for holiness, a desire to please the Lord, and many other things as we focus on the beauty of Jesus Christ.  Today I saw much of that played out in my life.  First, there was a much needed direct and stern rebuke for a very sinful choice I made.  The person who exhorted me had every right to do so. She did it privately and specifically with the intended result of my repentance.  Jesus rebuked His disciples at times when it was appropriate and necessary.

Then another person and I asked for mutual forgiveness for a conversation that had occurred earlier. We both reached for the phone to call one another at the same time.  Forgiveness was granted and we are able to move on in our respective walks.  It is not always easy being in the body of Christ and living in community.  In fact my sinful edges rubbed a number of people today. Unfortunately Much of my contribution to my own and others sanctification today was my sin. 

Then I sought the forgiveness of a couple I had hurt deeply by my selfishness and outright rudeness.  They both were quick to forgive and move on.  It's been rather rare for me to see forgiveness offered in such a godly manner.  To be honest it's been so rare for me over the 58 years I was shocked. It was hard to trust and I attempted to offer some sort of penitence.  None was necessary they said.  They moved right on with loving me as much or more as they did before the offense.  I'm still rather shocked tonight.  What a blessing to see Christlikeness played out in real life.

Finally, I saw the intercession of God's people in prayer on my behalf. Christ sits at the right hand of the Father forever interceding.  We as His people get to join Him in praying for others.  So many people stopped to pray for me as it was obvious I was having a bad day.  As I look back over the day I'm not proud of my responses.  But I am humbled and amazed by the godly responses of so many that surrounded me.  There's a song by Doris Akers that I love. The lyrics are written below:

There's a sweet, sweet Spirit in this place,
And I know that it's the Spirit of the Lord;
There are sweet expressions on each face,
And I know they feel the presence of the Lord.

Chorus
Sweet Holy Spirit, Sweet heavenly Dove,
Stay right here with us, filling us with Your love.
And for these blessings we lift our hearts in praise;
Without a doubt we'll know that we have been revived,
When we shall leave this place.

There are blessings you cannot receive
Till you know Him in His fullness and believe;
You're the one to profit when you say,
"I am going to walk with Jesus all the way."

If you say He saved you from your sin,
Now you're weak, you're bound and cannot enter in,
You can make it right if you will yield,
You'll enjoy the Holy Spirit that we feel.


Today I experienced the Sweet Heavenly Dove right among us filling us with His love.  It was a wonderful experience for me.  I pray for personal revival as I deal with my sin and seek the forgiveness of God through confession and repentance.  I continual to solicit your prayers as I walk down the sometimes long and windy road of repentance.

No comments: