Purpose Statement

My holy ambition is to bring glory to God through the study of His Word. I am passionate about the observation, interpretation and application of God's Word in our lives.

Saturday, December 22, 2012

The Still Small Voice

I went to a friend's house today who lives in the country...or at least what this city girl calls the country.  In the past she met me at a gasoline station just of I-35 South and led me to her house. Yes, I'm old now and it's just easier that way.  However today she called me on my cell phone and told me to take the lead.  Frankly, I wasn't exactly sure how that was going to work since I had no way of knowing how to get to her place.  No clue.  But I pulled out and headed down the road. I'm nothing if not willing to comply with a known and respected authority.  She wanted me to lead so I can learn for myself the way to her house. It was time to push the eaglet out of the nest so to speak.

 She never left her position behind me. I checked my rear view mirror a few times to make sure.  She kept me on the phone--speaker phone--hands free speaker phone for any officers reading this. Or even a judge. She was right about any growing confidence as I pulled up into her driveway.  I am better able to find my way to her house now.  I'm not sure I'm totally confident I can make it on my own but my driving in front with her guidance helped immensely. 

I think the Holy Spirit does the same thing in our lives. Initially as we learn something new from the Lord the Spirit is more likely to guide very specifically and directly through His Word, the counsel of godly people and the confluence of circumstances.  As time goes on, He may move to the back so to speak and let our faith and confidence grow in Him. He never leaves us. He is in constant communication if we ask Him.  His goal is for us to grow in grace and look a little more like Jesus Christ when we get to the end of the road. 

No comments: