Purpose Statement

My holy ambition is to bring glory to God through the study of His Word. I am passionate about the observation, interpretation and application of God's Word in our lives.

Sunday, December 23, 2012

The Dog Roll

I have two dogs Kellie and Spirit. Kellie is a small black dog and Spirit a medium white and tan dog. Spirit has a bad habit of ferreting out dead worms or deceased bugs out of the lawn. She grabs them with her front teeth and then lays them down on the grass.  I know the next step by heart. She drops her shoulder and rolls onto her back. Of course, she's on top of the smelly dead thing and for whatever reason in a dog's heart, she's content. In fact, the smellier the better. That the white and tan dog likes to roll in the dark and dirty stuff doesn't seem fair or right to me.

Today when it happened I was a bit frustrated with her long standing habit.  In fact, I got pretty exasperated until I remembered that I do the same thing.  Only my habit isn't rolling around on dead bugs. It's habitual sin.  Thinking and doing things I know don't glorify the Lord or edify others.  I roll around for a long time before I quit too.  Invariably I do my own form of shoulder dive and then I'm in a mess of sin and flesh.  So the next time Spirit takes a roll, hopefully it will remind me of any sin in my life and the need to get up and ask for forgiveness, repent and drop my shoulder a little less frequently.

No comments: