Purpose Statement

My holy ambition is to bring glory to God through the study of His Word. I am passionate about the observation, interpretation and application of God's Word in our lives.

Wednesday, December 19, 2012

Flexibility

I used to get very frustrated and irritated if my day didn't go as I planned. Gratefully the Lord is working on me with that.  I wrote a week or so ago about the day to be His to order and provide. Today very little went as I had planned but the Lord worked all things together for even greater glory I believe. Instead of working all afternoon at my church I had the opportunity to visit a sick friend.  I thought I was going to play Mexican Train and then have dinner at my parent's church. Instead we took the dinner home and I helped get ready for a party / bridge game the next day.

I'm learning to plan yet hold those plans with a loose grip.  There are times during my day when I simply ask the Lord what would you have me do next? I did that this evening and I ended up making cookies for some friends. I hadn't done that in a long time but I thought it might bless them if I did so.  I didn't realize just how self reliant I was before this summer.  I just couldn't see that I was on the throne far more often than the Lord.  It's been a harsh chastening but a necessary one. I am grateful. 

I don't want to be a mystic about the will of God but I do think He shows us our way.  Our steps are established by the Lord. He is near enough to hold our hand when we fall so we don't hurl headlong.  He is a very present help in times of trouble. He promises never to leave nor forsake us.  He is with us even to the end of the world.  I don't think it a bad thing to as His guidance as we go through our day and watch for the direction of His hand.  Again, don't read that as mysticism.  Just acknowledge it as a sovereign, loving and good God directing our ways. His Word says He delights in our ways when we are obedient to do what He reveals to us in His Word.  I long for the Lord to delight in me!

No comments: