Purpose Statement

My holy ambition is to bring glory to God through the study of His Word. I am passionate about the observation, interpretation and application of God's Word in our lives.

Tuesday, December 11, 2012

B-I-N-G-O

The residents at the assisted living center play bingo twice a week.  A couple of them do something interesting. When a number is called, they move the chips that cover the numbers that have already been called.  I'm not sure why but it is a bit frustrating because all the chips get moved. It's hard to remember which numbers have been called and which haven't.  It reminded me today of what I sometimes do with God's promises and my prayers. I move the chips so to speak. I somehow need to check to make sure that I covered the right thing in the right way.  I'm not saying that we don't linger and pray repeatedly about things but if God has said something in His Word--it's covered. I need not lift the chip.

God's Word is reliable, true and eternal. We don't need to keep checking to see it it has changed somehow. It can't and thus it won't.  Isaiah 40:8: "The grass withers, the flower fades but the word of our God stands forever."  Someone once said that there are very few things that are eternal.  The Word of God, God Himself and people.  Everything else will be destroyed and some of it recreated.  It might then behoove us all to place our priorities where God places His.  That is on His Word, His character and people.  BINGO.

No comments: