Purpose Statement

My holy ambition is to bring glory to God through the study of His Word. I am passionate about the observation, interpretation and application of God's Word in our lives.

Thursday, December 6, 2012

The Extra Mile

There are times in our lives when it pleases the Lord for us to "go the extra mile," "do the added thing", "make the extra effort" or whatever you want to call it.  Today I had such an opportunity. One of the women where I volunteer needed photocopies of some documents that would take a long time to xerox.  I quickly offered to help even though I was running short on time. By the grace of God I wasn't running short on patience.  Besides I used to work for the governmental program for which she needed the information. I understood firsthand what it may mean to her if she didn't have what the program required. It could have impeded the medical coverage for her sick child.  So knowing all that made it easier to make the small sacrifice of time and effort.

I found out that today was her last day of work at this particular facility. She's transferring to Plano and so her getting the documents seemed even more critical.  The Lord was most gracious to allow me to help her and still have plenty of time for other commitments I made for today.  Often the Lord does make the time stretch and things work out well. Sometimes it doesn't work out so well and yet pleasing Him by serving others is what we should do.  It can be the small things that make huge differences in people's lives. I pray that from now on I'm more open to seeing opportunities to serve the Lord by serving others and going the extra mile.

No comments: