Purpose Statement

My holy ambition is to bring glory to God through the study of His Word. I am passionate about the observation, interpretation and application of God's Word in our lives.

Saturday, December 1, 2012

Looking for the Lost

I volunteer at a local senior living facility and every week we make a trip to Walmart or Target. Usually there are 7 or 8 residents who go and two staff members and me. When we get at the store we decide on a time to rejoin and a place.  It's usually at an eatery inside the facility. Today we went to Target which actually has two places to sit and eat or at least drink.  I quickly forgot about the place to drink of them.  About an hour and and a half later we were gathered at the eatery and I did a head count. One of the elderly residents was missing.  Panic gripped my heart. I shot a look at the maintenance supervisor who had come with us and he jumped to his feet. "Who is it?" he mouthed and I told him. We scoured the store looking for her.  I prayed. I don't know if he did or not.  I was reminded of the parables of the lost sheep, the lost coin and the lost son. Once again I was reminded of just a bit what it feels like to lose something of tremendous value. All your attention is focused until it's found.  I pondered the love of the Savior for His lost chosen ones.

When we got back nearly to where we started in the store, I remembered that there was a smaller area for coffee drinkers. I poked my head in and there she was sitting peacefully waiting for someone to help her check out.  Obviously we were all relieved.  How precious it is that God seeks us even when we don't seek Him.  In fact, He seeks us even when we are His enemies. Romans 5: 10-11 states: "For if while we were enemies we were reconciled to God through the death of His Son, much more, having been reconciled, we shall be saved by His life.  And not only this, but we also exult in God through our Lord Jesus Christ, through whom we have now received the reconciliation."  Amazing Grace says: I once we were lost but now I'm found. Amazing Grace indeed.

No comments: