Purpose Statement

My holy ambition is to bring glory to God through the study of His Word. I am passionate about the observation, interpretation and application of God's Word in our lives.

Friday, February 1, 2013

God's Goodness and Gentleness

I have been meditating on God's goodness and His gentleness the past two days.  His gentleness exhibits a tender mildness and a gracious disposition which is manifested by controlled strength.  Christ was fully human and as such was even tempered, calm, and stable in His emotions, mind and will at all times.  He is just, reasonable, long suffering, moderate and courteous.  He is never rude or arrogant. He is strength under compassionate constraint.  Gentleness pardons confessed offences yet corrects sin.  A gentle person rules his spirit in a godly manner.

Psalm 18: 35: "You have also given me the shield of Your salvation, And Your right hand upholds me;
And Your gentleness makes me great."

Matthew 11: 29: " Take My yoke upon you and learn from Me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls."
James 3: 17:  "But the wisdom from above is first pure, then peaceable, gentle, reasonable, full of mercy and good fruits, unwavering, without hypocrisy."   Matthew 5: 5: “Blessed are the gentle, for they shall inherit the earth."   Goodness is a characteristic of God that draws people to Him.  Some synonyms include: beneficence, ready to do good and love in action.  Goodness plays out in generosity, kind acts and intentions and charity.  It is kindness, grace and mercy with hands and feet. It is loyal, unselfish, without manipulation and truly treats others as you would want to be treated.  Jesus Christ epitomizes gentleness and goodness.   Psalm 25: 7: "Do not remember the sins of my youth or my transgressions; According to Your loving kindness remember me, For Your goodness’ sake, O Lord."   Exodus 33: 19:  "And He said, “I Myself will make all My goodness pass before you, and will proclaim the name of the Lord before you; and I will be gracious to whom I will be gracious, and will show compassion on whom I will show compassion."   Jeremiah 31: 14: “I will fill the soul of the priests with abundance, And My people will be satisfied with My goodness,” declares the Lord."   Hosea 3: 5: "Afterward the sons of Israel will return and seek the Lord their God and David their king; and they will come trembling to the Lord and to His goodness in the last days."

No comments: