Purpose Statement

My holy ambition is to bring glory to God through the study of His Word. I am passionate about the observation, interpretation and application of God's Word in our lives.

Monday, February 4, 2013

Value of BSF

I was in a situation today where someone needed to know the location of a given Scripture. I knew where it was and the person was somewhat nonplussed.  He said I often can find texts quickly.  I began to ponder why that is.  By the way I am much better able to locate a text in the Word than to apply it.  I think it best to know fewer verses and actually apply them than to know multitudes of them and not have them change and transform your life.  Tonight I realized why I have the ability to know the location of many verses in the Scripture. It's because of Bible Study Fellowship.

This is my tenth year of study over a fifteen year period.  The beauty of BSF is that it is pure Bible Study. No outside commentary just you and your Bible.  You answer about fifteen or so questions about a given text.  Then you share your answers in a group on a weekly basis. So you are reviewing the text a second time. Then you hear a lecture on the same passage and finally you are given a set of notes usually about six pages long that also cover the same verses.  You hear the same Scriptures in four different formats.  It makes it easier to remember where verses are that you have studied.  Tonight we studied Genesis 22 and 23.  Our teaching leader said of Genesis 22 that it is the Mount Vesuvius of the Old Testament. I don't think I'll ever forget that. How grateful I am for Bible Study Fellowship and its influence on my life.

No comments: