Purpose Statement

My holy ambition is to bring glory to God through the study of His Word. I am passionate about the observation, interpretation and application of God's Word in our lives.

Monday, February 11, 2013

The Wages of Sin is Death

Romans 6:23 states: "For the wages of sin is death; but the gift of God is eternal life through Jesus Christ our Lord."  There are deep theological explanations of verse 23.  But today the very practical aspect hit me right between the eyes and then pierced my heart.  Lately I have taken a very lax attitude toward my sin.  I have not only sinned against the Lord but others in my life.  The wages of sin is death whether it is spiritual death, a death of a friendship or any other myriad negative consequences of our sin.  Gratefully faithful are the wounds of a friend.  A triad of people who love me and know my life rightly rebuked me sternly yet in love. 

My walk right now is a stench in the nostril of a holy and high God.  I've created idols in my own heart that I serve and prefer over the kind, generous, gracious, great and glorious God of the Bible.  Scripture commands us to flee idolatry.  If we don't do so quickly and fully, there is a tremendous price to pay.  What I was reminded of today is that price isn't only ours but innocent others as well. I hope my rebuke serves as a wake up call for us all. 

No comments: