Purpose Statement

My holy ambition is to bring glory to God through the study of His Word. I am passionate about the observation, interpretation and application of God's Word in our lives.

Wednesday, February 6, 2013

Returning to Dog Vomit

I  it's a gross title but it is scriptural.  Proverbs 26:11 states: "Like a dog that returns to its vomit is a fool who repeats his folly."  My dog Spirit is sick and I am always reminded of this verse at times like this.  Oh how many times I have been like the dog returning to the very things that keep it sick.  We are sin sick. I return to deep habitual patterns of sin from which Christ died to set me free.  I go back to depressed or anxious thoughts that are from my own sinful heart.  God wants me to take every thought captive and to bring everything under submission to the King of Kings and Lord of Lords.

I think I really want to do so.  At times I am more successful than others. I never realized how easily and deeply patterns of fleshly thought gets encapsulated in our hearts.I love how Galatians 5: 19 -23 contrasts the deeds of the flesh versus the fruit of the Spirit.  Far too often I engage the deeds of the flesh.  But I have seen much progress as I cling to Christ daily and submit to His authority.  I need the body of Christ desperately to war with me. I need the Spirit of the Lord. I need the Lord's Word. Gratefully He has provided all of that.  Psalm 84: 11: "For the LORD God is a sun and shield; The LORD gives grace and glory; No good thing does He withhold from those who walk uprightly."  Praise Him.


No comments: