Purpose Statement

My holy ambition is to bring glory to God through the study of His Word. I am passionate about the observation, interpretation and application of God's Word in our lives.

Monday, April 22, 2013

Sweet Holy Spirit

I have really been working on my personal relationship with God's Spirit in the past few weeks.  I think the Holy Spirit is the forgotten member of the trinity. We reformed folk are very vocal about God the Father and His Son Jesus Christ.  I think mention of the Spirit is a bit intimidating at times.  None of us want to fall into the hyper charismatic camps and end up barking like dogs, howling like hyenas or some such fleshly nonsense.  I've probably quenched the Spirit by my lack of attention however. He is equally God and His role is equally important to the Christian life.  We are called to walk by the Spirit. We are told to be filled with the Spirit. The Word tells us not to quench the Spirit nor should we grieve Him.

His presence is very real.  I''ve felt it at church and BSF to name two places  Each morning I wake up and ask for a greater awareness of Him during the day.  I don't want to be mystical or esoteric.  But He's very real.  Tonight at BSF we sang "Sweet Holy Spirit." I love the hymn. It was written and composed by Doris Akers.
Here are the lyrics:

There's a sweet, sweet Spirit in this place,
And I know that it's the Spirit of the Lord;
There are sweet expressions on each face,
And I know they feel the presence of the Lord.

Chorus
Sweet Holy Spirit, Sweet heavenly Dove,
Stay right here with us, filling us with Your love.
And for these blessings we lift our hearts in praise;
Without a doubt we'll know that we have been revived,
When we shall leave this place.

There are blessings you cannot receive
Till you know Him in His fullness and believe;
You're the one to profit when you say,
"I am going to walk with Jesus all the way."

If you say He saved you from your sin,
Now you're weak, you're bound and cannot enter in,
You can make it right if you will yield,
You'll enjoy the Holy Spirit that we feel.






No comments: