Purpose Statement

My holy ambition is to bring glory to God through the study of His Word. I am passionate about the observation, interpretation and application of God's Word in our lives.

Thursday, May 30, 2013

Whatever is True

I was talking with a friend today about the world's wisdom.  She has COPD and had gone to a meeting of a group of people with similar diagnoses.  The leader showed a video about the end stages of chronic obstructive pulmonary disease.  It so disturbed my friend that she left the meeting early. As we talked I wondered about the wisdom of such a video and the motive behind it.  My friend was distraught for awhile thinking about what might come to her in time.  But we don't know for sure that will happen. She might pass away some other way like a sudden heart attack. Perhaps the rapture will occur.  Who knows but it certainly upset her to view the pain of such a death.  Even if she were to pass away from COPD she doesn't have grace today for tomorrow's battle.

I had a similar incident about a year ago. I was in meetings where movies were shown that were most unhelpful to my situation. I did the same as my friend, I walked out. I later took issue about the wisdom of showing such videos to the people involved. The more I thought about what happened to my friend today and me in the past, the more grateful I was for Philippians 4:8: " Finally, brethren, whatever is true, whatever is honorable, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is of good repute, if there is any excellence and if anything worthy of praise, dwell on these things."  I am not saying we should stick our heads in the sand and pretend things aren't as they are.  I am saying we need not borrow trouble and think on things that are of good repute and excellent.

I use this verse as a screen for what I see and hear. It is a wonderful test of what we should allow into our hearts.  Oh to be faithful to obey it at all times. Sadly, I must admit I don't. I wonder how much grief might be spared me if I were to hold fast to this verse and obey it totally.  I'm grateful my friend was able to take every thought obedient to Jesus Christ quite quickly. It saved her a lot of unnecessary pain. We need not be ostriches but the Scripture says to be wise as serpents and innocent as doves.

No comments: