Purpose Statement

My holy ambition is to bring glory to God through the study of His Word. I am passionate about the observation, interpretation and application of God's Word in our lives.

Monday, May 27, 2013

Andy the Anole

A few months ago a good friend of mine rescued an anole. He looks kind of like a baby lizard about the size of a large gecko. I think he was six or seven inches from head to tail.  One of her dogs had gotten to him. His back was injured and he was in bad shape.  He had scrapes and cuts particularly on his thighs and calves (not sure that is reptile anatomy but you know what I mean). She thought his back might be broken. My friend is an animal lover and has volumes of experience with exotic animals. So she took him in to nurse him back to health. Enter Wendy the skeptic. Frankly I thought he would live maybe another week and then pass on to lizard heaven. 

My friend gave me periodic updates.  I was amazed. She kept him in a glass aquarium in her front bathroom.  The little guy kept getting better. As bad as his wounds were I could have sworn he was history.  My friend persevered. The scars on his legs started to heal as he shed his old skin and new skin grew.  He was able to scurry a bit in the bottom of the aquarium but his legs dragged greatly. Most of the work was done by his front legs.  Time passed. My friend persevered.  His back got stronger.  He could move his back legs. Then he could scramble on the side of the aquarium and his little toes held him secure momentarily. He never gave up and neither did she.  She continued to feed him whatever anoles eat.  This past week she let him go back to his natural habitat.  He had gotten healed enough that it was the only humane thing to do.  Under her loving and protective care he was ready to move out into life again.

I can relate to Andy.  The past months God has cared for me as I rebound from a hard place. He has kindly and mercifully ministered to me in ways that have brought some wholeness. There is more to do because sanctification is progressive. I am more confident in Him than I was a year ago.  I am better able to trust Him and His Word. I am prayerfully a lot more gentle and less self righteous. Hopefully I am less self centered, fearful and depressed. Yep I can relate to old Andy.  I am grateful for the Lord whose name is Jehovah Rapha--the God Who heals. I think Andy may be a wee bit grateful too.

No comments: