Purpose Statement

My holy ambition is to bring glory to God through the study of His Word. I am passionate about the observation, interpretation and application of God's Word in our lives.

Thursday, June 28, 2012

The Loveliness of Christ--Samuel Rutherford

About a month or so ago a friend gave me a book called "The Loveliness of Christ" by Samuel Rutherford. It is a small book written by Rutherford who was a 17th century Scottish Christian. I had read some of the book and then set it aside for a few weeks. Since May 17th I haven't read much of anything except I John.  Many of you that I am suffering a health crisis of sorts and haven't been able to eat well. I have a chronic pain under my right rib cage that radiates to my back.  But the health care professionals haven't been able to find anything wrong.  During the last few days I am realizing by the grace of God a few of the lessons the Lord is teaching me. I don't want to waste this crisis and not come away from it changed. 

I was talking with a friend on the phone this afternoon. I picked up the book and read the marked page. "Whether God come to his children with a rod or a crown, if he come Himself with it, it is well. Welcome, welcome Jesus, what may soever thou come, if we can get a sight of thee; and sure I am it is better to be sick, providing Christ come to the bedside and draw the curtains, and say, Courage, I am thy salvation, than to enjoy health, being lusty and strong and never need to be visited of God." His comments penetrated my heart.  It's where I am right now or perhaps I should say finally.  I would rather have Jesus than silver or gold even if it means sickness that may or may not improve.

I've struggled hard with this current issue.It feels like in some ways I, like Jacob, am wrestling with God.  My flesh dies hard but die it must.  Samuel Rutherford wrote a second page that was equally compelling.  "I am half content to have boils for my Lord Jesus' plaisters.  Sickness hath this advantage, that it draweth our sweet Physician's hand and his holy and soft fingers to touch our withered and leper skins; it is a blessed feverthat fetcheth Christ to the bedside--I think my Lord's 'How doest thou with it, sick body? is worth all my pained nights."  Another tidbit of Rutherford's is "One year's time of heaven shall swallow up all sorrows, even beyond comparison."

Here's another bit of wisdom from Samuel Rutherford. "I wonder how many times that ever a child of God should have a sad heart, considering what their Lord is preparing for them." There is no truer thought than this!   What a beautiful thought  The Lord has gone to prepare a place for us.  Our eternity will be in heaven with Him.  To live is Christ but to die is gain. It is the very much better thing as Paul says in Philippians 1: 23. May we live this life to glorify Christ but how much better to be in heaven in HIs presence forever.  It truly is a win win situation for all who believe.

No comments: