Purpose Statement

My holy ambition is to bring glory to God through the study of His Word. I am passionate about the observation, interpretation and application of God's Word in our lives.

Wednesday, June 20, 2012

The Goodness of the Lord in the Land of the Living

Psalm 27: 13-14: 13: "I would have despaired unless I had believed that I would see the goodness of the Lord in the land of the living.14 Wait for the Lord;Be strong and let your heart take courage;Yes, wait for the Lord."  Frankly I have struggled with God's goodness much more than His sovereignty, holiness or justice.  People with tough childhoods often do.  The legacy has extended even throughout my 33 years.  Yet God's Word couldn't be more clear that God is good. And He is good all the time.  He can't deny Himself or lie about His character. So for many years I walked in unbelief.  How kind of the Lord to walk me through my sin and bondage and effect some freedom in my hurting heart.

I've had some issues with my fourteen year old car lately.  The latest was yesterday when my sweet mechanics at my local oil change place (They treat me like their mother. I like being treated that way, I don't like being old enough to be the mother of 30 to 40 year old men.) told me I had a radiator leak. They don't replace radiators there. That news coupled with an older issue made things a wee bit tricky for me. Gratefully I knew by my reaction to the news that the Lord had done a work in my heart. Nobody died that day!  Nobody was harmed at all. I sat in amazement of the work the Lord had done thus far in the sanctification process. In fact, I sat on the cement floor talking with Chester and Ryan about the goodness of the Lord.  I wasn't sure what He would do and when He would do it.  But I knew God would act.  My words were a bit braver than my heart.  But I said them anyway.

I drove the car to church today and when I drove home the coolant light came back on. I didn't get grouchy, angry or depressed.  No fear, anger or depression--FAD for short either!  I prayed and told God I needed direction. After the engine cooled down I checked the coolant level and it was quite low.   I called a good friend who sells cars and he referred me to a mechanic who had worked on my car a lot before. He treats me like I'm his mother too and yes I am old enough to be such.  Harumph.  Long story short he called me tonight and not tomorrow like he thought might with an estimate of $600 for labor and parts. I told him I needed to prayerfully consider it.  I prayed and asked God to make it clear.

I went to Sunrise my local retirement care center.  I visited a widow I see daily and one who I took care of while her son and daughter in law took a cruise the first part of May. Her son Steve came in the front door about the time I did. We walked to his mother's apartment together. She inquired how my car was because I had told her of the radiator leak the night before. I told her about David's estimate to fix both issues. Steve said "I'll pay half for taking care of my Mom while we were on the cruise.  Jean replied: "I'll pay the other half for all you do for me."  I sat stunned. I had an answer to my car problem in a way I would have never conceived. Only God could have done such a thing.  My car fixed and I didn't pay a dime. Truly the good God manifests His goodness in the here and now along with the sweet bye and bye!  For that I praise Him!



No comments: