Purpose Statement

My holy ambition is to bring glory to God through the study of His Word. I am passionate about the observation, interpretation and application of God's Word in our lives.

Wednesday, January 15, 2014

Scripture Memorization

Our associate pastor issued a call for the congregation to make scripture memorization a priority this year.  I know where a lot of Scripture is located but I don't have it memorized word by word.  I started this past week to memorize verses that I can more easily recall to mind when I need them  It has helped ease the emotionality in my life somewhat. I am grateful.  We need to trust in the promises of the Lord along with heed any warnings He gives. If we only trust the promises we can grow hardened to sin and make the Gospel self centered instead of God centered. If we emphasize the warnings we can become legalistic and paralyzed with fear.  With a healthy balance between the promises and the warnings we can walk more powerfully by the Spirit.

When I am afraid or discouraged, I can bring these passages to mind to challenge my thoughts. Our default position isn't the Scripture but our own thoughts which often flow from our wicked hearts.  We can learn to preach the Gospel to ourselves and take every thought captive. The proverb as a man thinks so is he is true.  We can choose to dwell on the flesh or we can choose to embrace the word of the Spirit.  I am grateful that the Bible gives much hope as we meditate upon Jesus and focuses our gaze upon the Lord. Someone once said that for every glance at ourselves we need to take ten glances at Jesus Christ. Memorizing His Word is a good way to do that!

No comments: