Purpose Statement

My holy ambition is to bring glory to God through the study of His Word. I am passionate about the observation, interpretation and application of God's Word in our lives.

Wednesday, November 6, 2013

The Stubborn Weed

I know it has been a long time since I posted anything.  I have my reasons for the sabbatical. I am not sure how consistent I will be as I start anew. But I hope to post more frequently than I have in the past few months.

 There are a lot of weeds in the lawn of my apartment complex.  I am sure the manager wouldn't be happy if I told her my blog post was about the weedy lawn. Oh well.  There is a particular kind of woody weed that is very difficult, if not impossible, to pull out of dry soil.  It has a huge root with lots of tentacles creeping underneath the sod.  Often the best that can be done is to pull the leafy part of the stem but to leave the root intact. However when we get a lot of rain the weed pulls easily out of the lawn root and all. For some reason I enjoy picking the weeds right after a heavy rain. Gives me a sense of accomplishment.  It also makes me feel like I am giving the lawn a chance.

As I was pulling some of the weeds these past few days, I thought of the nature of sin. It is very resilient. Its tentacles run deep into the often hard and claylike soil.  Sometimes we try to uproot it but only break off the leafy or showy parts above the ground.  We can make it appear we have done the hard work when we have only skimmed the surface.  However, just as water makes the weed pull up easily; the water of the Word is needed to soften the roots of sin. Only then can the Holy Spirit  totally destroy the unwanted transgression in our life. Pulling weeds from the lawn makes the grass freer to grow.  Pulling weeds from the heart makes our spirits free to grow.

No comments: