Purpose Statement

My holy ambition is to bring glory to God through the study of His Word. I am passionate about the observation, interpretation and application of God's Word in our lives.

Wednesday, February 13, 2013

Humility

I'm working on my BSF questions for this week and one concerns the definition of "humility". I looked up several verses and found that Moses was the most humble man on the face of the earth. (Would not you love God to say that about you?). God leads the humble in justice and teaches them His way. The humble inherit the land and delight themselves in abundant prosperity.  The Lord takes pleasure in the humble and he beautifies them with salvation.

Blessed are the humble for they will inherit the earth.  The Bible tells us that Jesus is gentle and humble in spirit so in Him we can find rest.  Finally, I learned that women should possess a gentle and quiet spirit which is precious in the sight of God.  Pride can mask itself very easily.  Dr. Piper speaks of two ways pride manifests. The more common way is wanting accolades for achievement. In other words, applaud me for what I have done.  The more subtle form is one that the Lord has revealed in my own heart.  It is self pity.  the self pitiful demand applause for their sacrifice.  It thrives on attention and carves an idolatrous god who is angry, demanding, harsh and judgemental.  A god that is evil and antithetical to the loving Lord portrayed throughout the Scripture.  Gratefully there is the hope that God's mercies are new every morning and His compassions fail not. We can flee to the Cross and preach the true Gospel to our hearts.  Praise Him who is indeed gentle and humble in spirit.

No comments: