Purpose Statement

My holy ambition is to bring glory to God through the study of His Word. I am passionate about the observation, interpretation and application of God's Word in our lives.

Sunday, December 2, 2012

Taking Every Thought Captive

C. J. Mahoney delivered a sermon about how we should preach more to ourselves and listen less.  The person who talks to us the most, he says, is ourselves. It's a radical concept to me because I have spent so many years listening to the "old man" or my "flesh."  I haven't brought the Word of God to my own heart very well. The consequences have been disastrous but I'm repenting and changing even though it's just a baby step at a time.  This whole concept is critical to the Christian walk. For some reason until I came to my current church I really didn't know that it was necessary.  The battleground in the Christian life is the mind.  Actually it begins in the heart but the engagement of forces is most felt intellectually. The enemy and our flesh fights against the truth because unbelief is the basis of all sin.

It is so important to all believers to think and react biblically.  As someone who has claimed to be a believer for over 30 years, not thinking biblically has brought about some hard consequences.  I pray that all churches are teaching young believers to take every thought captive to the obedience of Christ. I know my church is doing so and I am very grateful.  It is true that "as a man thinketh so is he." We must proclaim the Gospel of Christ to our hearts throughout the day and be grateful for the flow of grace that comes into our lives moment by moment. 

No comments: